Location scouting is a process in the pre-production stage of commercial photography and filmmaking, that consists of finding a suitable location for a photography or video session.
Always take a camera and a notebook to point out all the details of the place.
These are 9 essential points that will help you finding a suitability a location.
1. Overall aesthetic - Does the place go along with your concept?
2. Available light indoors or outdoors - aswell as the lighting conditions.
3. Visit the location at the same time you will photograph or film - especially outdoors where the light quality varies .
4. Weather Conditions - what’s the viability of choosing an outdoor place ? will that affect many areas of production like scheduling? Plans should be made well in advance of any shoot day with a possibility to be affected by weather.
5. logistic - feasibility including but not limited to distance from base of operations or other locations scheduled.
6. Availability of parking and facilities - to keep crew and talent (principal actors or models and extras) safe and dry at all times
7. Availability of electrical power - or feasibility of bringing in generators for lights and electrical equipment.
8. Permission - from and cooperation of location owner and neighbors, local government and law enforcement
9. financial cost to production